Wednesday 13 April 2011

PROFESSOR HU CHI KU CHI'S THOUGHT FOR THE DAY........
Many bridge players of modest ability often display an amazing honesty about themselves. Time and time again you will hear one say " I am my own worst enemy " .
So what on earth possesses them to make such a confession ?
Well, my research shows that mediocre players, to a man and a woman, have an over-active mind when it comes to absorbing and retaining criticism. They are not good at letting things go. Therefore, when bad or frustrating things happen at the table , most of which are accompanied by lashings of verbal abuse, the likelihood is they begin to see themselves in a new light....or should I say darkness.
The memories of such incidents crop up at inopportune times, such as midway through the bidding or play of a hand. Panic and pressure sets in, undermining their chances of making the right decisions. Not surprisingly, they see their inner demons as their real enemies, and never the other players around the table.
For these poor souls, life becomes cyclical. Repeated battles go on within their minds. The inner demons prove to be a formidable force, never to be denied or defeated. Whenever they win, the vanquished players feel beat up, and utterly demoralised. To be defeated by the enemy within is so awful, they feel the need to acknowledge this fact to sympathetic on-lookers.
Mind you, I once came across a player who , after butchering a simple 4S contract, tried to explain this embarrassment by admitting " I am my own worst enemy ". His irate partner brushed this claim aside, accusing him of being an outright liar in the process : " No Sir ....you are so wrong........for while I live and breath .....that honour definitely belongs to me ! "

No comments: