Friday 18 October 2013

THE POWER OF WORDS : HOW BIAS AFFECTS CHOICE.........An absolutely true story by Bridgemeister Gibson

I once sat on a committee only to witness a fiercely determined group all ready and prepared to solve a difficult problem with guns blazing. Having been taught to seek compromise by occupying the middle ground , I felt obliged to challenge the decision, which was based more on emotions than sound judgement.
After the voting, I continued to voice my dissent and disapproval , by pointing out that there would be " problems " resulting from their decision. One of these problems , which everyone seemed fully aware of ,  was the risk of a possible lawsuit.  From that point onwards I became the enemy within the camp.
Even though my carefully worded comment was nothing more than a non-specific observation it certainly didn't share a similar definition. It wasn't even considered as a concern. Neither did it qualify as a warning. No.....it was received and later defined as " a threat ", such was the level of bias which was dictating the choice of words used by its uncompromising author.  

No comments: