Tuesday 28 July 2009

WHAT IS IT WITH MY PARTNERS?.............WHY DO THEY ALL SEEM TO TAKE UMBRAGE OVER THE SLIGHTEST THING SAID? This is me Howard Bigot-Johnson writing here....and I'm fed up with partners taking umbrage whenever I spell out a few home truths. Umbrage......such a powerfully evocative word. But not surprisingly in the prickly world of bridge it is extremely commonplace. Players left, right and centre take umbrage whenever their failings or mistakes are pointed out to them. Definitions of the word embrace the notion of "taking offence" and "feeling resentful" to things said or done. Reflecting feelings of anger, it is an emotion that is all dressed up.......but with nowhere to go. The greater the anger, the weightier the umbrage becomes, like massive concrete shoes dragging victims down to a watery grave. When my partners take umbrage over my astute observations of their inferior bidding and play, they immediately expect action to be taken or apologies offered if there's to be any chance of freeing themselves from the bindings of anger. Why do they take umbrage over statements of fact and my on-the-spot appraisals? It cannot be right for them to take umbrage, to become resentful, bitter and grudge bearing, when all I'm trying to do is to be honest. Indeed, the tragedy of taking umbrage is that they lose control. Paranoia and persecution complexes lock in. Their perceived injuries to their egos and reputations become unrealistically exaggerated and severe. Well meaning comments become misconstrued as tactless insults, unwarranted criticism, stern advice and or joking sarcasm. So how these people, who must regard it as a privilege and honour to partner me, have the nerve and audacity to tell me I'm out of order when I make a few pertinent observations........ I just cannot get my head around it. Is there a conspiracy afoot? How dare they ! If they want to make an enemy out of me that's fine. Just bring it on. Someone please explain to me why everybody but me takes umbrage. Why aren't people more like me.......?

No comments: