Friday 17 July 2015

FINALLY I HAVE THE ANSWER..............( Article by Carp )

Many bridge clubs are naturally concerned with falling membership totals , especially when the average age of the membership continues to rise. Young people are not taking up the game in sufficient numbers to buck the trend. So what might be the biggest single underlying factor behind this distressing state of affairs ?

Well ,we all know about how young people today prefer to engage with technological pastimes and fast living?  For them bridge is something that one has to cross over to get from one side of a river to another. It is game that their grey-haired grandparents play in grey stone buildings.
But yesterday I read a newspaper article ( see below ) that revealed a startling fact , which helps explain why so many young people today have no bloody idea at all as to what the game of bridge is all about. Te sad reality is that they don't even know what a pack of cards looks like. 

If children are never introduced to simple card games , then they certainly don't progress onto such games like 5-card nap , solo , and whist  . And without this progression , bridge remains well outside their radar. My parents introduced me to cards at a very early age , and trick taking games become my favourites , because skill played a much greater part than luck in being successful. The fact that my parents never played bridge themselves was irrelevant. My passion for cards has been ignited. Indeed , discovering better and more challenging card games was now my ultimate quest. So when I eventually discovered bridge  ( at university ) I knew I had made it to Eldorado.

So unless ways can be found to get parents encouraging their kids to switch off their computers and games consoles and to play cards as part of a family activity ,  young people of tomorrow will get to realize what pleasures and benefits this wonderful game of can provide. 





No comments: