EAVESDROPPER TUNES IN ON A CURIOUS CONVERSATION.....
- Christ man....I haven't seen you in ages
- I'm not surprised.....I don't go to the club anymore
- What....you've given up bridge ?
- No....I'm playing the game more than ever before
- Yeh ?
- I quit the club along with several other members to form our own virtual reality bridge club
- Well bugger me .....so what's that all about ?
- It's bridge on the internet....each of us downloaded the software to play duplicate bridge
at agreed times. The standard of bridge is not only high but the playing field is absolutely
- No kidding
- Yes....we all take the North seat , with a randomly chosen robot partner , to take on all the
East/West robot partnerships. The East/West robots all play to the same system card , but
they are also programmed to provide different levels of challenge. Nevertheless , the
programming also gives them different personality profiles , to reflect both basic human
strengths and weaknesses
- However , your robot partner will play to whatever system you like ....but at the same time
he/she too will occasionally succumb to human-like failings and shortcomings despite being a
solid and reliable bridge player
- I'm gobsmacked by all this
- But the best bit is this.......the robots don't cheat or hesitate.....they don't lecture or
answer back.....they never revoke and they play the cards quickly. Not only that ....they make intelligent and logical decisions based on all the information they have gleaned from
the bidding and the play of cards to date
- Sounds great
- The play of the hands is very fast although you are allowed .....because of your sluggish
thinking......to take a little longer. Mind you 24 boards can be easily got through in 90
minutes ......and whichever North wins the event he/she knows they all had the same cards
playing and the same opponents. Never can a playing field be as level as this one
- God am I impressed
- Yes....you should be because this is the only way to improve your bridge in leaps and
bounds. In fact all our robot opponents are now pre-set at near-expert and expert levels
- Can I join this club then ?
- Of course....but the initial cost of downloading the software is around £200
- No problem to a man of my means....count me in
- Well , log in 7-30pm this Wednesday then
- Will do my friend