Sunday 10 April 2011

BRIDGE IN THE TWILIGHT ZONE........ ( A strange but true tale by Dr. Sigmund T. Schukelgruber )
Not so long ago a friend of mine arrived at a table to face two very formidable opponents. Sitting to his left was South, renown for his aggressive bidding, light opening bids, and canny play.
On the first board of the set South opened 1H, which was promptly doubled by West. North passed, and East with the best hand at the table punted 3NT.
The play of the hand was less than inspiring, as my friend only managed to conjure up 7 tricks. North with his modest 7 count secured 3 valuable tricks for the defence. After the scores were entered up, South turned on his partner with a look of disapproval.
" What on earth is wrong with you ? That contract should have been doubled ! "
South's answer was as assured as it was breath-taking.
" Well....if I had been partnering any one else but you......I would have done. "
At this point in the story I asked my friend : " Tell me then....what was so breath-taking about that remark ? "
" The fact that North was one of the club's most respected tournament directors. "

No comments: