- MUD : what most players will throw at others in order to blacken their names
- Book player : defined by A.W. Drayton as " a safe player but not a very dangerous one "
- Chance : a fine thing
- Kiss of death : incurring a 200 plus penalty when the opponents could only make a modest part-score
- Club : a situation most over-40 female members would prefer not to be in
- Duck : a recommended course of action should a flying bridgemate be heading your way
- Principle of preparedness : getting some practice in with a rubber or two in mind
- Congress : a coming together
- Phantom pair : something one associates with a female player who obviously wears a padded bra
- Rags : an apt term used to describe the scruffy attire so often worn by impoverished student members, whose wardrobes consist only of T-shirts, torn jeans, and open-toed sandals
Wednesday, 19 January 2011
THE DEVIL'S DICTIONARY REVISITED..................