- They have never " hired" players to be their partners, or to play in their team. Successes by virtue of this practice are discounted agaist them ( but not their partners or team-mates).
- Nominations by regular partners and/or team -mates are out of the question, in that mutual back -scratching societies are banned.
- Nominations only count if made by highly placed OPPONENTS involved in the same big stage or world stage competition..... who are not of the same nationality . Moreover with each nomination, evidence of hands must be provided where the player nominated really showed his/her genius at work.
- Players with the most nominations over a given period can qualify for a " player of the year award " confined to their own particular country.
- Players, who achieve several player of the year awards, can be put forward by their country to be considered for Howard Bigot-Johnson's World's Best Players HOF.
- Those nominated to get into this great Hall will have to sit Howard Bigot-Johnson's " Lets see the final proof of how good you are " examination. This will consist of a five 90 minute papers covering the following topics: (1) bidding on awkward hands, (2) opening leads and defence, (3) awkward contracts for declarer, (4) declarer squeeze play , and (5) reading the cards. Scores below 90% will be deemed " a fail" ... earning them the big "F" certificate and " better luck next year" condolences. Those players who pass will be allowed to join Bigot ( who of course is an Honorary member ) in the Big Hall for a badge of merit and a slap-up meal.
Now if any Tom, Dick or Harry can think up a better system than that, then either send me a post, or submit your views on some other blog ( and advise me where to look ). Or if it's your wish, where to get off .....Yours full of cracking good ideas Howard Bigot-Johnson.