Tuesday 24 May 2011

ANOTHER NEARLY TRUE STORY ......... ( By Bridgemeister Gibson )
A bridge player will often claim " I am my own worst enemy ".
Why is that I ask myself ? Well, my research shows that bridge players by and large have an over-active minds, which absorb and retain all the criticism thrown at time by their annoyed and angry partners. Unable to forget these vitriolic observations, they mull over them again and again, before posting them to the areas of the brain which store painful memories, shame and guilt. Inevitably, painful flashbacks will suddenly pop into their heads at inopportune times, causing them to misbid or misplay the hands on the next set of boards.
For them life at the tables is a recurring pattern of errors and mishaps. Repeated battles go in inside their minds, as they try in vain to overcome the demons that lurk within. With past voices of condemnation still ringing in their eyes, they succumb yet again to more mistakes and further criticism. Not surprisingly, they feel beat up, down and depressed. I have seen them trapped at the bottom of an abyss, unable to find or see any daylight, such is the overwhelming all consuming darkness which has swallowed them up.
So onto my story.......
Well, the other day I witnessed an opponent, already shell-shocked and demoralised by what had transpired earlier, limply go off in a simple 4S contract , which of course was making all around the room. Looking sheepishly and forlornly at his none-too-pleased partner, he announced in a sincere and apologetic way " So sorry .... I am without doubt my own worst enemy ".
His partner leaned back in his chair, thought for a moment, and in a voice that was as cold as his piercing eyes, he made this rather cutting and devastating confession : No sir......for while I live and breath.....that particular honour certainly belongs to me ! "

No comments: