Friday 27 May 2011

REBECCA ROOD'S MAILBAG........................
Dear Rebecca,
I had a great idea to improve my bidding system. This would have allowed me to open a major at the one level on just a 2 or 3 card suit. However, the sodding EBU said they wouldn't licence such a bid, and that all opening 1H/S bids must promise at least a 4 card suit.
What is the world of bridge coming to ?
Yours Ira Ted Alwright
....
Dear Ira,
My advice to you simple. If you wish to open on a non-existent major, use a convention that is licenced (with of course a little modification ). This particular favourite of mine is one I've been using for years with great success. However, you must only open a major at the one level when you hold a losing singleton in that suit. Should you be called upon to explain your partner's alert, you will boldly announce that is an advanced splinter bid, prior to you finding a suit fit elsewhere .
Yours taking the game onto another level, Rebecca

No comments: