Saturday 26 February 2011

REBECCA ROOD'S MAILBAG.......................
Dear Rebecca,
For many years now I play with the same people, having a regular partner for each Thursday of the month. One of them is a nice enough player, but sadly his bridge has not moved on. Our results have gone from bad to worse to bloody awful, and he's not doing my overall average any good at all. I can't remember the last time when we came above half-way.
What I need from you is some advice on how to let him down gently , and move him aside for someone half decent. But so far, I have fonnd it very difficult to broach the subject of cancelling our monthly arrangement, knowing how much it would upset him. Any suggestions ?
Yours feeling lost and helpless, Sasha Coward
Dear Sasha,
What are you ? A woman or a mouse ?
Who cares if your partner ends up feeling slightly aggrieved. Just think of all the pain he's inflicted on you over these years, with his wooden play and lack of ability.
Cut that umbilical cord. Heavens above, ditching partners in bridge is common practice, and what's more you don't have to go through any divorce proceedings. Hell, I got rid one of my partners just recently. Despite being a reasonable player, he turned out to be a real needy type, constantly seeking attention and emotional support . It was always destined to be an ill-fated mixed parnership. I was human. He was a cling-on.
So why not take my lead and ditch the sad loser.
Yours as always ruthlessly Rood

No comments: