Monday 10 August 2009

CAN I HELP IT IF AN OPPONENT GIVES AWAY AN INADVERTANT TELL..................................( Article by Howard Bigot Johnson)
  • I am in 6S and the opening lead is a club. With one possible loser in diamonds, I needed to pick up the queen of trumps before testing the hearts. With nothing to go on, I have a simple choice: either play for a 2-2 split to drop the queen, or take the finesse through my RHO.... where the queen to three could be lurking.
  • Dummy had come down with: ......109x.......AKxxx...........Q...........xxxx.........opposite my rather impressive ....................AKJxxx.......Qxx...........Kx..........AK
  • I opted for plan A. I took the club trick in hand with the Ace, and quickly played the Ace of spades, intending to play the King of spades next........as did West ! However, for some unknown reason I inadvertantly played the King of clubs instead.
  • West didn't bat an eyelid as he was still pondering which card to discard on the anticipated trump King. Had he registered the card as a club, the pause I'm sure would not have been as long. Moreover, if he had another spade, then surely to God he would waste no time in playing it.....or at least make a rapid change when it became apparent a club was called for. I could not help but come to the conclusion that my LHO started out with a singleton spade.
  • So at trick four I played over to Dummy's top heart to take the spade finesse. This worked of course, enabling me to bring the slam home plus one.
  • Should my play be described as a sneaky opportunist masterpiece of reasoning? And even if such action fell outside the boundaries of unethical practice, should I have done the honest thing and stuck with my original plan. Bugger that.
  • ( I would welcome any readers' comments.)

No comments: